Thursday 20 February 2014

Recommendation 4: Tiring Thursday!

Hi!

Today, it will be a really quick recommendation, due to the fact I am currently working on some English Coursework. Seriously, word counts are the bane of my existence! I am not enjoying myself! Even if it is on The Great Gatsby and Atonement (watch the films...they are good even if they are not today's recommendations). Anyway on with what really matters...


Recommendation 4: Thor: The Dark World:-



Ultimately, this movie is really good and I am totally going to buy the DVD when it comes out Monday (in the UK). You should to....that is an order!!...only but it if you want to of course...I am going to stop now...

I loved the first film in the Thor saga, and was not disappointed by this film in the slightest. If anything, it was even better compared to the first film! It didn't have any need to be "clogged-up" with explanations about the characters. Everything has already been set up, so right from the start, there is entertaining and fast-paced action sequences! 
   
The cast is great, as they were in the first movie, and what shocked me about this movie is, along with all the action, the film is much funnier compared to what I though it would be. Kat Dennings, in particular, as the character Darcy, is absolutely hilarious. The jokes are great. The action is great. Everything in this film is great!

Overall, I give this film a 4/5. 
The only thing that would make this film better, would be if Natalie Portman (as Dr Jane Foster), stepped up to the plate even further. She does get involved with some action, becoming infected with this black gooey stuff called 'darkness' (slightly unoriginal...but who cares...it gets the job done....we all know that something called 'darkness', does not bode well). But, overall, I thought she would be fighting for the humans and kicking some butts....at least she finally gets to travel to Asgard. 

The much loved Loki (portrayed by Tom Hiddleston) does return, which is awesome. The character is so sarcastic and snarky, he makes a jam-packed movie, that much more special. The constant thorny barbs between Loki and his brother, the titular character Thor (Chris Hemsworth), will ensure you, if you decide to watch the film, are entertained throughout. Seriously, one of the best quotes of any film in 2013...."YOU MEWLING QUIM!!!!!"  What even is a 'quim'? It makes me chuckle every time! I will not be happy until I have discovered what it is according to the Asgardian world....I believe it may be rude so.....awkward...

Finally, the CGI, special effects and overall mis-en-scene of this movie is good...really good. From alien planet settings, to costumes and make-up, every little aspect adds to the storyline and makes it almost 'believably' real. Wait no! I did not just say that! I really didn't think this film was depicting real life events....I really didn't....maybe I did....;) I am still expecting some norse gods to come crashing through my bedroom ceiling and bestow me with some mighty powers, in which I will use to destroy the world....desperately hoping!!

That is all I really need to say. I am sorry it is really short, but if you have a few hours spare in your day (you are really lucky if you do), then this movie will not disappoint you or be a waste of time. Loki, Thor and Jane Foster. In other words, a group of characters that can create fantastical, sci-fi superhero entertainment. Thank You Marvel! And make sure, if you do watch the movie, you do not miss the credits scene; it could lead on to the second Avengers movie, or at the very least, a third Thor Movie ('fingers crossed'). 

Here are some pictures: 


Thor (Chris Hemsworth) mid-battle and looking angry....a large proportion of the film is spent with this facial expression on Thor's face. 


Jane Foster (Natalie Portman). Executing perfectly, the facial expression everyone pulls when the film is finished....you will not want it to end.


Yup it is Loki (Tom Hiddleston). In this scene, he gets his head cut off...I am joking....it is much more interesting....yet again, you will have to watch to find out what happens.


It is DARCY!!!! (Kat Dennings). Assistant! Sidekick! General funny person!!! The much needed comic relief in such a fast-paced movie. 


And yes, you probably recognise this is Christopher Eccleston (the resemblance between character and actor is uncanny) playing Malekith of the Dark Elves. Yet again simple name....but we know it is probably a race of 'elves' that can be anything but something good. These are the main 'bad guys' or villains in the movie, and though I would have liked them to have a bit more presence, be a bit more terrifying, I still appreciate the The Doctor (9th) having an influence in this storyline. Just should have been a bit more powerful!





















No comments:

Post a Comment