Monday 27 January 2014

College work Stress!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! (and American Hustle).

Hello readers!!!

  It seems to be the same old story every time but yes, college work is still too much. My stress levels are through the roof but I keep on trudging along. The problem with college is every lecturer seems to only care for their own subject. All I want to do is just stand up, clear my throat and scream at them "FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! I DO THREE OTHER SUBJECTS YOU KNOW!" Anyways, none of that matters. When I have college work overloading my weekends, it is nice to find some time to actually focus on this blog and my love for television and film. So before I end up just writing a three page rant about the woes of actually having to get out of bed and do way too many essays, I will get on with the review (bring forth the sighs of relief). :)

American Hustle:

This movie, despite not being my usual 'cup of tea', was actually ok. David O. Russell, the director, and all of the writers/producers did an amazing job with this movie and I am personally glad that I took the time out to watch this film. I think some crime orientated films, can often fall into the trap of including a lot of greatly appreciated action but skip over other vital insights into the characters.
  However, American Hustle takes the time to situate the characters in the storyline but still remains true to the traditional aspects of this genre.  For example, we have a typical film noir "femme fatale" with the fiery, and definitely not british, Sydney Prosser (or the esteemed "Lady Edith Greensly), depending on if you fall for the lies falling from this con-artist's perfectly painted lips. Amy Adams does an awesome job of playing this character. Apart from that, traditional film noir style influences are seen in the delightfully realistic scenes (mis-en-scene). I loved seeing a multitude of classical bars, whether it be a balcony or window frame in the background, to connote instances of entrapment for the characters, as the audience watch and eventually see, them lose their grip on the situations. Oh bars, frequent cars, you are beautiful crime conventions and I am so glad you are present in this film.

   Once again, it is no suprise this movie has been praised so positively. The cast that has been gathered together, is nothing short of perfect. For me, and half of the world, Jennifer Lawrence stole the show as Rosalyn Rosenfeld and I am happy to know that she won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress (COME ON LAWRENCE YOU CAN ALSO TAKE THE OSCAR!!!!) She can do nothing wrong and is way too talented, and funny, for one actress alone. Jennifer Lawrence is captivating in her role as a neurotic wife; hiding the few screws loose behind a fetching and elegant, if slightly off-kilter blonde "updo" (is that how I spell it...I know nothing about hair otherwise I probably would have tried a blog on it...no movies are much more interesting). I really do like to go off subject, dont I? Back to the hustling! Rosalyn as a character breathes life into the movie and with Lawrence, I see why this film has become a black comedy and not simply, just a straightforward crime movie. Some of the jokes are subtle, probably down to slightly improvised aspects to scenes, but still greatly appreciated and worth watching.

   Some scenes are absolutely hilarious and though some of the characters are rather over the top and outrageous at times, seemingly a semiotic of David O. Russell's work, I think the whole story is great and worth the time to watch. I think some movies, set in previous times like this one, can move quite slowly, in a bid for some directors to try and capture the contrast in that lifestyle, compared to present day. Our bustling and frantic (Geez don't I know it... I can't relax for more than 10 minutes) society compared to slower times. Russell pulls it of though and the audience are effortlessly transported to 1978 and the lives of con artist Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and his scam partner Sydney Prosser (mentioned earlier). The costume design, soundtrack and sets have been marvellously constructed, as needed, and I wouldn't expect anything less.

Bradley Cooper also plays an FBI Agent 'Richie' DiMaso and is an excellent addition to an already star-studded (god I hate that phrase) cast. Despite the fact as an FBI agent you believe he should be the narrative's 'moral centre', DiMaso is a much more interesting and in-depth character. You will have to watch the movie to find out how he fits into the scheme of events (and no it is not a typical film with a mighty smack down... "FBI vs CON ARTISTS...who will win????"). Please read the last bit in a really deep voice, otherwise it may lose some effect. Thank You! ;) He may, or may not actually attempt to work with some of the shadier people (wink wink). 

For these reasons, and many more, I give this film a rating of:

4.5/5

David 'O'. Russell has done an 'O'pulent job on this film and chosen a good group of actors to pull off a story that should not necessarily work in the first place. The black comedic look at a large and illegal scam, transforms into a focus on a variety of extremely interesting characters first, and a detailed look at how certain people (please read 'crazies' instead of people) 'supposively' operated 'back in the day', second. Just watch it. Give it a go! 

   This is another short review I am afraid, due to the fact I have limited time and this is actually a difficult film to write about and truly give it justice for what it deserves. I know the majority of my reviews have been rather nice, but this film, along with the rest of what I have looked at, truly deserves the praise. What I would say, is watch this film with an open mind and try and let go of any previous devotions to specific genres you may have dedicated yourself to. Also, simply, give the film a chance, especially if you enjoyed David O. Russell's previous big blockbuster 'Silver Linings Playbook' (another amazing film you should watch...yes, I like to say amazing....a lot). Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence also star in it and have 'fantastic chemistry' (hate that saying as well, why not amazing physics or biology?...sorry bad joke again).

And that is it, thank you for reading again people!!!! Below are images from American Hustle if you want to see the characters. Speak to you....type to you...in the next review (as of yet still undecided....may be the Mortal Instruments because it comes out on DVD today) :)

Here we have Christian Bale as Irving Rosenfeld (and no it is not a fat suit....he is crazy dedicated to his roles, which is a really cool thing) and Amy Adams as Sydney Prosser (big glasses and close to being publicly indecent sums up her character pretty nicely).

A woman who needs no introduction, Jennifer Lawrence plays Irving's wife (but Irving actually loves someone else so....awkward) called Rosalyn Rosenfeld. No bow and arrow in this movie, I am afraid. Just a few dozen cigarettes and some very bright (and 'nasty' nail polish).

Irving has popped up again in this image but also with Bradley Cooper (FBI Agent Richie). Sadly, the haircuts are really bad...and even worse, I think Cooper really 'permed' his hair for the movie...so again...awkward).


Finally, Jeremy Renner also appears as Mayor Carmine. Sadly, once again, he has no bow and arrow in this movie, we have to wait until the next Avengers movie to see Hawkeye again. This movie may lack a good level of bow and arrowness (yes that is a word) but it's still worth watching. Trust me. ;)


(I do not own any of the images, they are copyright of their respected owners. Please do not shoot me, the movie is not even out on DVD yet so I have an excuse). Thank You. :)









No comments:

Post a Comment