Monday 6 January 2014

The Amazingness of Arrow


ARROW! 
  What can I say, this television show has been out for a while now, but I have only just discovered it. I am glad I did! This show has everything and it is no suprise from the successful CW network, in which I already watch many other series including, to mention only one, Supernatural!!


The show, overall, is based on and around the DC comic book hero "The Green Arrow". However, what is truly interesting about the show, is how the creators/developers Greg Berlanti, Marx Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg have been able to, in places, flip the original comic book lore, and create a variety of unique stories within each episode. A character may not appear as they did in the DC universe precisely, but that is the reason you will want to continue watching. It is what keeps you guessing.

Oliver Queen (portrayed by Stephen Amell) starts of as a stereotypical playboy billionaire but due to being stranded on a treacherous island for five years, is able to craft himself "into a weapon". A "vigilante" prepared to defend his home of Starling City, under his dead fathers wishes for him to redeem the family name. We as the audience, are able to follow his struggle to fight and take out the names on a list; the corrupt "one percenters" in the city!! 

I am sure I am not doing this television show justice. At first, I thought the shows premise was rather limited, I mean, it is one guy with a bow and arrow, how long is that going to take to get boring? I was wrong. Somehow, with a genius cast, this show is able to stay refreshing and far from repetitive, as some other shows would become. It is a perfect mix of family drama, action and comedic scenes, with a dash of the highly popular superhero genre. If you are a particular fan of any other superhero movie or television show, then Arrow is a perfect watch. It even reminds me of the glory days when CW's Smallville was still on.

For an abundance of quickly shot fight scenes, tense dramatic downfalls and "bring a smile to your face" character interactions, I give this show a:

4.5/5

I do not believe I will always be as generous with the ratings as I have been so far, but this television show does deserve the credit, especially for a spontaneous steal of £15 on one boring Saturday.

The soundtrack is suprisingly up to date in the scenes and the camera shots are diverse enough to grip, and keep hold of,  the audience right from the outstart with the opening "My name is Oliver Queen...."

I want to particularly applaud on behalf of this shows followers, if my opinion were to account towards anything, the portrayal of Felicity Smoak by Emily Bett Rickards. Her executions of the funny and awkward spouts of "word vomit" (and after some skydiving in the season 2 premiere 'real' vomit) are the perfect contrast to the gruffness of Oliver. Felicity working with Oliver, and John Diggle the "bodyguard", make the perfect team to entertain and I am on the edge of my seat (literally I cannot get comfortable in this stupid chair) for the shows return on January 15th.
So...I hope I have captivated you at least to try out this show, you might be slightly dubious in the beginning, like I was, but just notch an arrow, close your eyes and fire yourself into this awesomely constructed series (sorry for the apt if not slightly corny metaphor). :) thankyou for reading!!!! 
Here are some pictures from the show of the great cast, if they won't influence and convince you to watch, I do not know what will!!!!
Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) aka  "The Hood" aka "The Arrow...

Thea Queen (portrayed by Willa Holland) she may or may not begin with a drug problem...you will have to watch!

Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards)


Its Olicity!!! ( Oliver and Felicity) they are on a massive "ship"...seriously search for it on tumblr!!!! :)


Tommy Merlyn (he is not a wizard unfortunately) portrayed by Colin Donnell. Tommy is Oliver's bestest bud!!!

Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy). Oliver's old girlfriend, who he cheated on with her sister, she now goes out with his best friend Tommy. Think soap operas!! (So if you like them too, this show is for you!!)


John Diggle (David Ramsey) the slightly too serious but loyal character (that every show seems to have)

And finally, an out of focus, over the shoulder shot (hey... I know some mediocre media language) of Oliver on the island. There are frequent flashbacks!


Sorry for poor quality of photos, took them on my television!!! Speak to you in the next review, in the mean time, KEEP WATCHING TV!!! :) do not let anyone stop you!!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment