Sunday 26 January 2014

Quick Post (to tide you over)

HELLLOOOO READERS!!!!

Hope everyone is hanging in there in this busy, polluted and cruel world! (sorry that was far too melodramatic for the weekend) :)

College work is even worse at the moment, I have a lot of coursework deadlines I am half panicking over and half trying to ignore. So, I hope to post a full-length review tomorrow on the film American Hustle but, in the mean time, here is a quick review on the television series American Horror Story: Coven. As you can tell, I love America. American Hustle. American Horror Story. To sum up, America, know how to produce some really interesting media masterpieces.

I do have to confess, I have only watched a few episodes of the first two seasons of American Horror Story, and have not seen them in their entirety, despite the fact they seem to be favourable amongst other critics and reviews. I chose to start on Coven first, just because the witchcraft premise highly interested me compared to the other story lines. And, overall, the third season is good. Really good.

First of all, the storyline was interesting enough to entertain me but what I did find....interesting, was the fact everyone seems to die. Frequently. For shows like Supernatural, I expect the frequent death and revival of a main character. Whether it is Dean, Sam or Castiel, I know that death is not necessarily the end for them (thank god). However, in AHS there are frequent deaths but they do not truly seem to interlink or 'fit' with the plot line as well and are glossed over. Maybe, this makes it more shocking and resemble the horror genre to a higher level but I am not sure if I like it when it happens every episode. It is a 'witchy' (replacing the 'w' with a 'b' would be more accurate) fight for power, so the frequent deaths are probably needed.

Apart from that, the series is truly gripping and I love all the captivating, if not slightly deranged characters that are stereotypical of the American Horror Story franchise.  Is it correct to call it a franchise? Probably not...anyways moving on! Of the actresses in the show, Emma Roberts portraying Madison Montgomery, Sarah Paulson playing Cordelia Foxx and Jessica Lange whom I have seen in previous seasons, portrays the character Fiona Goode (who is anything but 'goode'), are a particular handful that stand out as awesome. The storyline created by Ryan Murphy and others, truly does deserve the abundance of positive reviews and 'critical acclaim' that it has received. Despite frequent deaths, the episodes are full of amazing frights but also frequent humour. It is enough to keep my eyes glued to the screen and watch the scenes gruesomely painted red with frequent violence. In three words this series is, 'fantastic but frightful'.

For these reasons, I give the series a:

4/5 

American Horror Story is great and I highly recommend it for anyone who loves horror and witches. I cannot wait to find out who the next 'supreme' is. The one who can master the 'seven wonders', an assortment of magical gifts that defy the laws of nature. You can say what you want about this show, how it does not compare to the previous two seasons, but the way the series has been shot is nothing short of artwork. The small non-diegetic melodies that accompany the scenes, crank up the horror aspects from plain horror to something rather disturbed and 'cross the road to avoid the characters' type creepiness. An assortment of close up shots and low angle sequences show that these witches are powerful; women that are prepared to fight for the top spot. I am on the edge of my 'broom' (really bad joke sorry) and cannot wait to find out how it will end. 


Thank You for reading, here is some of the characters to look at, my camera is broken so they are not my images, sorry, but that's probably for the best (my camera skills still need some serious work). I hope this review is enough, at least, to interest you until tomorrow when, again, I hope to post a larger and more interesting review on American Hustle. If the 'Monday Mood' does not force me into hibernation.
 In the meantime, do not let anyone stop you from watching films and television! You want to be lazy and anti-social (two words that describe me perfectly) then go ahead. Everyone deserves to relax and immerse themselves in the world of media.
Speak to you later (or technically I will write something, and you will read it...no actual speaking is involved). :)


This is the character Madison Montgomery (Emma Roberts). The character has many issues but she is captivating to watch. She is cold as a corpse (hint hint) but I still root for her!!! :)

Here we have Cordelia Foxx (Sarah Paulson). At first I thought she would be only sane person in the series but then she got really creepy. Really creepy. "shivers"  One event could include a sharp object and her own eyes....yes you will have to watch and wince at the scene to find out. Let me just say, never take a way a witches power. Never.

Finally, we have Jessica Lange playing Fiona Goode. A 'supreme' and head witch (yet again replace the 'W' with a 'B'). Her acting is amazing and her character is ruthless. Let me just say, because I like to talk a lot, never point out a woman's wrinkles. Never mention her age. Never.




No comments:

Post a Comment